Saturday, July 21, 2007

Cadiz

Monday afternoon we drove up to Cadiz, KY, which is where the Goodwin family lived for many years farming tobacco before some of them left for Illinois. Cadiz is the county seat for Trigg County. We first went to the Tourist Information Office. The woman working there was very friendly (as everyone in Kentucky seems to be), and asked what brought us to Cadiz. I told my name was Goodwin, and my ancestors came from this area. She nodded, and said there were still alot of Goodwins in the area. She said they were "nice people," which I suppose is a good thing.

She said the Goodwins all come from Cerulean (or Cerulean Springs), which they pronounce "Cer-oy-yan". She said the library down the street (on Main Street) might have some more information. We went there, and they did. They had an entire book on the history of Goodwins in Trigg County. I took photos of some of the relevant pages.

No comments: